Skip to main content

Bill Title

Automatic license transfers under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act:


Military Spouse Employment and Economic Opportunities (Federal Portability) (Private)
Passed 04/24/2024


Active-duty military personnel and their spouses may be eligible for automatic license transfers under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act. Any license held in another state that 1) is in good standing and 2) used in the last two years can be transferred into Virginia for the duration of the military orders. Eligible servicemembers and spouses may submit a Portability of Professional Licenses of Servicemembers and Their Spouses Application. Spouses of active-duty military personnel assigned to a duty station in Virginia, a contiguous state, or the District of Columbia are eligible for expedited processing using the Military Spouse Expedited License Application. Retirees are also eligible within the first year of leaving the service. A temporary, non-renewable 12-month license for certain military spouses licensed in another state who need more time to meet Virginia-specific requirements is also an option if necessary.


Request More Information