Skip to main content

Key Issue Header

In-State Tuition Continuity


Key Message

States can help military families pursue higher education by allowing military dependents � as long as they remain continuously enrolled in an institution of higher learning � to pay in-state tuition when an active-duty service member is transferred out of state.


In many states, a child or spouse of an active-duty service member can lose in-state tuition for higher education if the military sponsor is assigned out of state before their dependent starts classes.


Arizona rules state that a spouse or a dependent child does not lose in-state student classification under this subsection if the spouse or dependent child qualifies for in-state tuition classification at the time the spouse or dependent child is accepted for admission to a community college or a university in Arizona.1 1 Arizona Statute, Title 15 (Education), Chapter 14, Sec. 15-1802 E.

State Policymakers

If you are a state policymaker, request more information.