Skip to main content

Key Issue Header

In-State Tuition Continuity


Key Message

Allow a spouse or child of an active-duty service member, if they have been accepted at an institution of higher learning but their sponsor is transferred to another state, to be deemed an in-state resident as long as they remain continuously enrolled at the school.


In many states, a child or spouse of an active-duty service member can lose in-state tuition for higher education if the military sponsor is assigned out of state before their dependent starts classes.


An Arizona law provides that a spouse or a dependent child does not lose in-state student classification if the spouse or dependent child qualifies for in-state tuition at the time they are accepted for admission to the institution. (Arizona Statute, Title 15 (Education), Chapter 14, Sec. 15-1802 E.)

State Policymakers

If you are a state policymaker, request more information.