Skip to main content

Key Issue Header

In-State Tuition Continuity


Key Message

Military dependents may lose in-state tuition classification due to the timing of reassignments or changes to the service member’s military status. States can deem a dependent of a service member a resident despite changes in the service member’s military status following acceptance.


In many states, a child or spouse of an active-duty service member can lose in-state tuition for higher education if the military sponsor is assigned out of state before their dependent starts classes.


Currently, 31 states have enacted policies conferring residency for tuition purposes to a spouse or child of an active member of the armed forces assigned to duty in a state at the time of receiving a letter of acceptance to a state institution of higher learning, regardless of the service member’s status prior to enrollment.

State Policymakers

If you are a state policymaker, request more information.