Skip to main content

Key Issue Header

Service Member Licensure and Credit


Key Message

Separating service members leave the military with documented training and experience that can prepare them for civilian employment. However, this documentation is not always used by state entities to provide them academic credit. Academic institutions provide an important bridge that separating service members may need to translate their training and experience into recognized qualifications for professional and technical occupations.


States can support a service member's transition to civilian work by requiring educational institutions to give them credit for their military experience and apply it toward degrees or certificate programs.


Service members gain many valuable skills they can use in civilian jobs, but there are no state requirements for educational institutions to give them academic credit for their military learning. States can ease veterans' transitions to the civilian work force by requiring institutions to evaluate their experience and grant them academic credit toward degrees or professional certificates.

State Policymakers

If you are a state policymaker, request more information.